Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Puns About Green Money and the Green Lifestyle




A few days ago, I was on the bus and this guy sitting next to me noticed the cat hair all over my black pants and decided to strike up a conversation about animals and vegetarianism. He said he had been vegan for ten years, and asked me if I was vegetarian. I said I had thought about it, and I do limit my meat consumption. If I was going to "go veg" I'd have a lot more experimentation to do in order to make sure I'm still getting the nutrition I need. The guy was really nice, but seemed more interested in talking at me about why I should go veg than actually having a discussion with me. What struck me most is he seemed to believe that veg was the only way to be.

Vegetarianism is a luxury for a great deal of the world right now. Its for people who can substitute the meat in their diet. But with global poverty and hunger being such an issue, many people do not have that luxury.

Which brings me to what I really want to talk about: sustainability. Anyone who tells you that environmentalism and socially responsible consumerism demands a bigger price tag is bad. An expensive lifestyle is not a sustainable lifestyle and that is the greatest threat to the movement in my opinion: the impracticality.

Now that being green is becoming more and more popular, the market is evolving and more things are becoming affordable. Whenever I need to buy something, I think about it. Where its coming from, what its made of, how it got here, etc. If the price is slightly higher, but the quality and safety/health/durability of the item is better, it's worth the price increase. The long run is more important.

The cartoon above is French, obviously, but I find it to be very accurate to the current economic conditions in most of the Western world. Carrefour is basically a French European version of Wal-Mart. I also saw a few when I was in Jordan. I stoled the cartoon from a fellow AU student who posted it on facebook.

Translation- Man: You see, you're not boycotting Chinese products. Woman: Obviously not, I can't afford anything else.

That's wrong, and it needs to change. Please also note that I link social responsibility with environmentalism. Generally it goes that what's best for people is also best for the earth.

Here's a nifty little interview Jeffrey Sachs did with Treehugger about his new book and the economic benefits of going green.

Also, when looking for new items, check out second hand shops. This probably won't work for electronics, but it will for most other things. is also a great resource. Second hand really is the greenest way to go!

Edit: I cleaned up the HTML, sorry for the confusions!

2 comments:

Lori said...

I'm sorry if this sounds preachy. Since you know me pretty well, I think you know that I don't often get preachy about my vegetarianism, but I really took exception to the tone and some of the conclusions of your entry.

As you know I'm currently in Egypt, which has a large population of very poor people, who have been struggling to afford food especially now that the government has been removing subsidies. In this situation, it's very easy for me to maintain my vegetarian lifestyle unless I'm eating at touristy-type restaurants. Ordinary Egyptians eat vegetarian all the time, because vegetarian food is cheap and available. Two of the staples of the working-class Egyptian diet are tamiyya (falafel) and fuul (seasoned bean paste in pita). Beans and legumes like in these dishes contain protein and iron, which are basically the only things that people sometimes have trouble with in a meatless diet. Meat is priced out of reach for many poor Egyptians. First-world meat consumption is huge compared to meat consumption in developing countries, where many people eat vegetarian or nearly vegetarian diets out of necessity. I really think your idea that vegetarianism is a luxury lifestyle is ill-considered.

Additionally, for those of us who do have the luxury to worry about these things, going vegetarian is one of the best things you can do for the environment. It reduces your carbon footprint by a ginormous amount. Meat-eating isn't a very environmentally efficient way to get energy because not only do the cows (or chickens or whatever) take up space and resources, it also takes up space and resources to grow *their* food. If we were just growing *our* food, it would take up less space and resources. Any changes in diet, if made for environmental/human rights reasons should logically be accompanied by mindful purchasing, but that's something you've already touched on and are pursuing, which is great. I recommend you check out the Wikipedia article on Environmental Vegetarianism - it also touches on economic vegetarianism, which relates to the point I was just making about vegetarianism not being a luxury lifestyle.

The Odalisque said...

Lori, I do agree with everything you say. I was actually hoping you'd respond too.

I should have clarified when I said luxury. I'm not saying that poor people can't afford to be vegetarian in terms of money, but many people can't in terms of agricultural conditions and nutritional needs. I'm thinking in terms of regions that are experiencing famine and severe malnutrition. Those groups of people probably are not ready for a vegetarian diet because they can barely sustain the crops they have. Therefore, I think that vegetarianism is a luxury for those who have the food supplies to make that choice.

I'm not knocking vegetarianism in any way, but I don't think universal vegetarianism is completely practical. But again, it'd be great if I'm proved wrong. I'd love to be convinced that there is a way to fight famine more effectively with vegetarian guidelines than with meat eating guidelines.

As with any environmental argument, I believe it has to be made in terms of what is better for people, and not just the earth or animals. The argument may work for some of us, but not the majority.

Besitos!